Ever wonder what's in a fashion stylist's bag? Well that all depends what I've got going on that day. If I'm doing a blog photoshoot, I'll have all sorts of accoutrements: clutches, jewelry, shoes and maybe a second or third outfit. If I'm styling someone else for a shoot, I'll have all of that plus safety pins, double-sided tape, a portable phone charger and hairspray (I'm seriously considering buying a fly-fishing vest for all my gear so I can be hands-free)! And if I'm shopping with a client, I'll have a crossboday bag with a lipgloss, eyedrops (stores dry out my eyes), client notes plus a protein bar. And then there's everyday life. A typical day might include working on blog posts, online researching for clients, attending networking meetings &/or events and scouting new shops and boutiques. For these days, I'll typically have what you see below: client notes, my planner, sunglasses, business cards (ALWAYS! You never know when you're going to meet your next client!) and my trusty Kate Spade portable phone charger.
Planner | Stella & Dot sunglasses | Aveda Air Control hairspray (this one is also great for summer) | Remote phone shutter |Kate Spade business card holder similar | Kate Spade Bee pouch similar (I keep a toothbrush and flossing picks in here, but it's big enough for a lipgloss, keys and a iPhone 6 )
Here are five things I think should be in every girl's bag:
1. Planner - whether you go old-school like me with pen to paper, or it's in your phone, you NEED to have your planner with you at all times. How else will you know if you can have margaritas on Wednesday with the girls???
2. Lipgloss/contact solution/eyedrops - I don't know about you, but my lips always seem to be dry, no matter the season. I typically carry this brand with me, plus a variety of glosses that can work in a pinch - in addition to adding color. Same for my eyes, minus the color part. And if you wear contacts, you may need a spare bottle in your tote.
3. Sunglasses - I cannot TELL you how many times my mother told me, "Always wear your sunglasses! That will prevent you from getting this big crow's foot like I have." Which is true...you want to protect your eyes and not squint...but you also want to protect your entire face with sunscreen or a hat. I cannot stress this enough to young women I talk to that think their porcelean skin will always be that smooth and unwrinkled.
4. A to-go makeup bag - whether you buy duplicates of all your faves or just throw in a few touch-up items (I opt for concealer, blush and mascara in mine), it's important to have something with you for touchups. This comes in handy for going from the office to dinner, if you need to erase the "mombie look" before picking up the kids or for selfies if you find yourself driving home during what photographers call, "the golden hour" (right before dusk, when the sun makes everything look hazy and gorgeous).
5. Finally - every girl needs to have what I call "her secret weapon" - whether this is a snack-bag filled with goldfish or toys for the kids, your favorite hot sauce that MUST go on everything you eat or a bible or special saying written out on a card - I believe we all need something special in our bag that either solves an ongoing issue, helps us along in our day or simply makes us smile.
I'd LOVE to hear what you carry in your bag and if you have any "secret weapons!"