I have fallen HARD for the pom-pom trend! I love it! I want them on EVVVERRYYTHINNNNG! But after seeing some of the prices on pom-pom clutches, I decided to try my hand at a DIY version. Disclaimer: I am NOT crafty. I repeat, not crafty AT ALL. I want to be crafty and enjoy events where I'm forced to do crafts but then get disappointed because I'm competitive and mine always look like a 2nd grade art project. I'm not sure what has happened to me lately because this is the SECOND DIY I've done this summer! And, truth be told, I kind of want to do more! Is crafting like a bug you can get bitten by? Because I'm sort of thinking, maybe it is. I literally CAN'T stop thinking about these red, white and blue painted DIY mason jars (which would be PERFECT for 4th of July!) I posted on Instagram a while back. I mean, it looks really easy, right? Maybe I'll try it. Just for you guys! :)
Back to the pom-pom clutch. This project literally took 30 minutes and cost all of 59 cents (I bought the clutch last summer, I think for maybe $14 or so). I found the poms at Michaels, but I'm sure Joann Fabrics or any other local craft store carries them too. Now, I will say, this does include knowing how to do basic sewing, which I'm fortunate my mom taught me how to sew buttons (although honestly, I think she was trying to keep me out of her hair and occupied because when I brought it up to her recently to thank her for teaching me, she didn't remember!) . If you don't know how to sew buttons (and are in the Charlotte area!), I'm considering doing a Style class on Skillpop and including that as one of the potential topics to teach. But back to this project. The first step is to choose your pattern. I'm a fan of symmetry, so I went with the basic rainbow layout, seen below.
Next, you simply thread the poms through one of the braids of the clutch (ensure a larger weave when buying the clutch so there is something to attach the pom-poms).
After attaching your first pom-pom, simply continue attaching them in the order you've chosen.
*Note: I ended up sewing them on a little closer than my original layout, so it might help to snap a pic of your layout to ensure it looks the way you want it.
And, voila...the finished product! I'd love to hear from you with any questions or comments about this project. Tag me in any of your own DIYs too....I'd love to see what you've done!